With community grant funding from Komen Great Plains, and additional support from Every Woman Matters and the HOPE Coalition Referral Program, a new Charles Drew Health Center Breast Cancer Screening Initiative targets women in the 68110, 68111 and 68104 zip codes with a specialized focus on minority women.
- Researching existing program and practices with similar disparities, populations and goals.
- Implementing evidenced-based approaches including best practices in community engagement, education and program enrollment.
- Offering support to the patient before, during and after screening to ensure quality care utilizing a multi-disciplinary team approach with the finance and marketing departments, community engagement staff and the women’s health case manager.
Long-term goals of the initiative include:
- Removing barriers to breast cancer screenings through education on breast health and the importance of screenings.
- Identifying and addressing the psycho-social barriers associated with non-compliance such as low self-efficacy, fears, lack of knowledge and understanding.
- Guiding and assisting women enrolled in EWM programs, while tracking and following up on abnormal findings.
If you have questions and/or would like more information, contact:
Tasha Tyson (Women’s Health Case Manager) 402-810-9793
Leah Margolis (Community Health Navigator) 402-810-9788